Friday, September 7, 2007

Happy Birthday!



You were a little girl with curly tufts of hair when you were born. Our parents gave you a special name. It's a name that means “gracious.”

To me, you were just a playmate, as well as my sister, buddy and um, well, at times “partner in crime.” We did all kinds of crazy stuff. Remember the time we slid down the windshield of the car? I really did not think it was a good idea until you told me that you had seen the cat do it. That made sense… until Mom caught us. I blamed you didn’t I?

Of course, there was the dress up box! We would prance around the greenbelt in old dress-up clothes for hours. Remember how we used to tie the old nightgowns around our heads pretending we had long hair? Or how about the occasions when we would knot those same nightgowns around our waists, kick up our heels and flip the fabric back with calloused feet? What were we? Hello, what else could we have been other than the half horse, half humans from Fantasia?!

Yes, for years you were my playmate, yet I never looked up to you. I didn't see you as knowing anything I didn't. That has changed.

Years have come and gone and so have some challenging times. I truly believe that if it were not for those challenges you would still that little girl, not the woman you have become.

My precious sister, may it be known to you on this special day, what a delight it is to see God working in you and through you. Your life is "grafittied" with His fingerprints!

Gracious. It no longer happens to be the origin of your name… it’s a meaning that is blooming into reality!

Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

What sweet sentiments. I can just see the two of you prancing about the greenbelt together.

Jody

Charming Simplicity said...

Oh my gosh Cathryn! Are you really talking about me? I'm sitting here now with tears in my eyes. God blessed me richly when He put me in this family. Thank you.

Anne

Unknown said...

that's a wonderful post. out of all my years using the internet, i have never posted something like that before. i have written about my brother in school assignments though...

Allen