Sunday, October 18, 2009

Days Like Threads

Saturday felt like it got started on the wrong foot. The following is an excerpt from my journal.

October 17th, 2009

Do you ever have notion that days are like threads?

Some days are silky smooth.. On these days all the things I had hoped to complete were finished before dinner: the research paper written, the weeds picked, and the car washed.

Other days slip passed the way silk strands glide through my pressed-together fingers. Their passing is almost indiscernible. No disaster, no exquisite joy is felt.

An then there are the days that feel like the thread itself has untwisted and loosened itself, becoming a frazzely, ravelly mess. It is not even the fact that I can’t get the “to dos” on my list done, it is the fact that I can not even find my “to do” list!

My cars keys are lost in the bottom of my purse instead of being found on the hook in the cupboard.
Clean laundry from 2 days past lies crumpled in its basket…on the floor of a bedroom that must be cleaned…only after the sheets are put on the bed and the desk and floor tidied.
The vacuum’s cord unwinds, trailing down the hallway like my nerves—long, stretched, and taut.
The internet threatens to fail and the research articles for my school paper look as though they will run off and elope with my car keys.

And it isn’t just MY day that feels unraveled, my loved ones “mishaps” collide with my own—the same way Mom and I step into each other’s path in the kitchen.

Thus our frazzled ends intertwine and loop into an orb-like webbing; like a yarn ball. We each try our hand plucking away at the confusion, but we just foozle ourselves more.

That is when I turn to the Great Weaver who I have neglected to think about until now. He can re-twist the ends I have splayed. He knows the pattern in which my thread should be woven.

Behold the handmaiden of the Lord. May it be to me according to your word…my soul magnifies the Lord.”
Luke : 38, 46a

Copyright 2009

3 comments:

TRBC Ladies' Fellowship said...

Wow C...that was quite a piece of writing. And, yes, I feel the same way...I just could never articulate it like that!
Love, T

Anonymous said...

Dear One, You have the gift of writing and expressing you feelings.
Love You. Grandma G.

The Beauty of the Lord said...

Thanks for the encouragement. You both are kind. :)