Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday's To Dos


I love making "to do" lists. Actually, I like crossing them off! Since school has adjourned for the summer I have not made my regular lists of either the musts, mights, or can waits for tomorrow. Last night, however I made such a list and have had such pleasure if crossing things off this morning that, well… I simply had to share! Most mornings are slow for me, but today I:

*Ate breakfast of course! (First things first!)
*Made bread
*Hardboiled eggs for Dad's lunches
* Started homemade yogurt
*Made maple pecan cookie dough for Dad's cookies (Yes, we take good care of that man! He deserves it too!)
*Emailed College professor
*Talked to the Registrars offices,
*Attempted to swap my college classes (rather unsuccessfully I might add)

All this before 9:00AM!

While it’s certainly not wrong to feel a sense of accomplishment when crossing off the “to dos, ”life isn’t all about getting everything done on your to do list. The ultimate “success” of one’s day should never be measured by such a manmade measuring stick. True accomplishment in life is found in listening to the Lord; in trusting, resting and obeying. I sin when I let the frustration of “not getting things marked off my list” grow into anger (which is normally targeted at the person who hindered our progress).

The main point…Lists are meant to be helpful if they help me to live purposely, with a quiet heart. That’s a success!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "to do list" helps me keep on track. Otherwise, sometimes I just don't get things done.

I learned this when I worked. With many interruptions, it is good to have it written down where you can refresh your memory.

What would I do, when I go town, without a list.

Love, GrandmaG

The Beauty of the Lord said...

Grandma G...
I learned similar list tactics that "maintain sanity and preserve productivity" from Mom. Hmm... Do ya think this trait was passed on through the family genes?

Smiles!
Your Grand-girly