Sunday, October 28, 2007

What sort of sticker would your car wear?

My mind spins in abnormal orbits. At least, that is the impression I get of myself sometimes. Perhaps I just have an odd sense of humor. On Tuesday October 16th I read Psalm 146: 5 which says:

"Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God."

Maybe, by chance, you saw what I did. Does this verse recall some of the sweet or down right strange bumper stickers you have seen while driving around town? You know the ones... "Happiness is being Kelly's Grandma" or "Happiness is drinking Starbucks."

This pithy connection struck a chord with my quirky little brain and I began to think of those public definitions of happiness in comparison to King David's definition. I couldn't help but giggle when I saw a mental picture involving David unabashedly driving his kingly chariot around with something like this on the the back:

"Happiness is having the LORD for you hope!"

Now by all means I am not one to take Scripture lightly and to make its meaning worth nothing (I despise those shirts that say "Jesus is my homeboy"). But my little mental picture prodded me to think on how bumper stickers reveal a trend of thought. If someone took enough trouble to look or even pay for the creation of a bumper sticker that advertises their love of a grandchild or Starbucks, would that not also indicate that they think about that love much of the time?

So here are the questions...

- What is your trend of your heart-thought?
- If it was made into a bumper sticker what would it say?

I can tell you what it should say; it's right there in Psalm 146:5. Yeah I know, ouch!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On happiness and hope: We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God . . . And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us. - Romans 5