Sunday, November 11, 2007

Soups On!

The weather out here is undeniably fallish. the morinings are cool and misty as are the eveinings. Here is one of my all time favorite "Mom soups."

Lentil Soup

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
1 ½ cup dried lentils, rinsed & picked over
3 med. onions, chopped
½ tsp. salt
3 carrots, grated
¼-1/2 tsp pepper
¾ tsp marjoram, crumbled
6 oz. dry white wine
¾ tsp. Thyme leaves
2T. dried parsley flakes
1 (28-oz) can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
7 cups broth (beef, chicken)
Grated cheese (optional)

Heat oil in large saucepan; sauté onions, carrots, marjoram, and thyme. Stir vegetables for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth and lentils. Bring soup to a boil; reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Add salt, pepper, wine, and parsley. Simmer the soup for a few minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese on each portion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,

Mmmmm! I'll try this next week! Tomorrow I'm going to try a new beef stew recipe from my brother. I'll send it to you if it turns out! I love soups!

Thanks!

Kristi B.

The Beauty of the Lord said...

Terrific!! I can't wait!

Gumbo Lily said...

Yum! Love lentil soup. I never thought of topping it with cheese. That sounds great!

Jody