Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Read and Wash

Reading is one of those things on my "I enjoy doing" list. However, with my school and work schedule, the latter slides lower and lower on my to do sheet as the semester progresses. I am a slow reader in general which not only means that I study slowly but I never get far in a book if I have only ten minutes (although you must understand that I am not discouraging that practice nor it's positive benefits at all). I need a good 45 minutes at least.

Some people take pride in "never having time to read." I do not. Recently I was contemplating this personal travesty when I came across a new techno- toy. It is called a playaway and it is basically an i pod book. Not so long ago (yes I remember when) they called them "books on tape." Now however, with the advancement in technology, this audio book is i pod size. You simply provide the headphones and voila! you are set! Unfortunately, unlike a cassette tape, you cannot rewind or fast forward to a particular spot but you can pause and skip forward and back by chapters.

This is perfect for me. Instead of having to lug around a walkman and all of the cassette tapes with me, or worse, not absorbing anything literary, Jane Austen and I can now workout on the elliptical machines or even walk to class. Just last night we washed dishes together.

I am not sure how many books are available in this format but it is worth a look into. Check out your library or go to http://www.playawaydigital.com/.

Happy reading!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

C,
So THAT'S what it is called! Drew just finished a 26 hour book on one of those! He got it from our local library. I have to say that I am glad it is over. Now there is nothing attached to his ear, and I have gained easy access again :)
Drew's Mom

Gumbo Lily said...

Sounds like the perfect tool for a busy college student! Thanks for sharing your new find.

Jody

The Beauty of the Lord said...

Drew's mom- I glad someone else knows about this little beauty. One of the downs sides of it being so protable is... well, that it can be taken EVERYWHERE! Yes, such portability can make it addicting and annoying (for those who are NOT listening.)

Gumo Lily- Indeed it is the perfect tool for me, though I have a rather romantic notion that you yourself could expand your imagination while you horse back ride in the windy, open prairie....sigh. :)