Friday, July 13, 2007

Unlearning


Well I am still here. I have just come out of a very full week (I am taking summer school) and I am launching into an equally full weekend. Here are some thoughts from a friend of mine. I will have to tell you more about Lilias another time, but for right now, I will let her words speak for her:

"Practically in most cases [of the Christian life] there is time involved [in learning a deeper surrender to Christ], because we take so long to unlearn our own sufficiency and our own resources..."

"Everything that wreaks our hopes of ourselves, and our earthly props, is helping us forward infinitely God's work in us."

At the end of a busy week, it is easy to feel "un-resourced" and deflated. Even looking at the weekend I feel a twinge of trepidation as I plan to teach children's' Sunday school.

There are going to be more children than last week. I tell myself. More children = more confusion. These kids already know this stuff, how can I make it really applicable for them?

As I plan and print, cut and color, I have been blessed with a simple peace. A peace that whispers, because of Christ, in your weakness you are strong. Sow good things, let God worry about the harvesting.

Somehow I know that the little vapor of uneasiness that occasionally floats by my heart is a little prop, being pulled down. A breaking apart of any self sufficiency my fingers hesitate to release. I am "unlearning" my own resources.

As we begin this weekend, let us be ever "leaning on the Everlasting arms."


No comments: