Thursday, September 26, 2013

Woodworking Projects #1


As mentioned in this post, I have taken up a little bit of woodworking.  It was instigated almost randomly by my free-time and fueled by Ana White, blogger and  author of a book called The Handbuilt Home.   For Newbies like me who are starting out with no real skills, or ladies possessing some skill but who are desirous of easy-to-understand plans ,this book is a great investment.  I would also recommend Ana's website/blog which contains many of the same plans that are in her book (for free!) in addition to videos and lots of other neat stuff.  One of my favorite features of her blog is that you can search her free plans by skill level or design (cottage vs modern etc).  Very handy!  This book, along with some much appreciated assistance from Dad, has given me the boost I need to create....
...Picture ledges



It was amazingly fun to learn how to cut with a table saw, use the hand sander, drill pilot holes, punch nails beneath the surface of the wood and finalize it all as I swiped my angled paint brush across the wood's buttery surface.  I am now in the process of making yet another shelf that is longer and has a decorative front edge.  I don't need a shelf...I just want to work with wood!  I have two other projects up my sleeves... the fun has just begun!


I also made a fun little sign for my bedroom using "my word" of the year...satisfied.  I absolutely LOVE the look of stained wood!  Using a font in Word that I liked, a green 99 cent folder from Staples, and an exact-o knife, I created my own stencil (as seen in picture).   

No comments: