Friday, July 19, 2013

Food Fact Friday: Fudge Gone Frosting



Even if you don’t like chocolate, you cannot tell me that the above picture does not ignite at least a teensy-weensy spark of a “yum-factor” or a mouth-watering effect.

I found this precariously balanced stack of chocolate squares (doesn’t it look like they are just ready to tumble into your open mouth?) and paused my preliminary search for a new recipe to make and take to a Friday night get together.   Don’t’ even know what I was searching for or how I came across it.   I am not even vegan.  But I stopped searching when I saw it and read the short ingredient list.  Bingo. 

I had all the ingredients except the coconut cream.   I typically have a can of coconut milk on hand in my cupboard but I’d never used coconut cream before.  So I headed on down to Spouts and  grabbed the can of the stuff. 
While re-reading the recipe at home, I realized that coconut cream is supposed to be more solid.  Hmm, mine was in a liquid form in a can.  At least, that’s’ what it sounded like when I shook it.  This could be problematic as it was likely the solid properties of the coconut cream that gave the fudge its “fudge” and not the normal chemical reaction resulting from the cooking process.  Oh well, thought I.  I would try it anyway.   

 My suspicions that the fudge would not “fudge-a-fy” and harden due to the lack of solidarity in my coconut cream proved prophetic; however, I couldn’t have guessed what a delightful, mousse-like, decadent, easy –to-spread chocolate fudge frosting it would make.  Never mind that I no longer had a chocolate goodie to bring to the Friday night get together.  I kept this all to myself and bought a watermelon to share instead!  I learned an important lesson...
...when life hands you unhardened fudged, use it as frosting.


If you like chocolate frosting you have GOT to try this!!  Making this recipe was almost as easy as pouring a bowl of breakfast cereal and calling it dinner (don't tell me I am the only one that does this?). 
To make FUDGE follow the recipe below exactly.  To make FROSTING, use liquid coconut cream.  Also note that I used canned coconut milk in place of the non-dairy milk originally called for.   
 
Vegan Fudge
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 c non-dairy chocolate chips (I used Trader Joes’ HUGE dark chocolate bar to make this extremely rich)
  • 1/2 c. coconut cream (this comes in a can and is solid unlike coconut milk)
  • 1/2 c. non-dairy milk
  • Dash salt
  • 1 c. chopped nuts, optional (or more!)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 

DIRECTIONS:
  1. In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chips with coconut cream, non-dairy milk, and salt.  Remove from heat.
  2. Stir in nuts if desired and vanilla.  Spread evenly into wax paper lined small square pan.  Place more chopped nuts on top if desired.
  3. Chill 2 hours or until firm.
  4. Turn fudge onto cutting board, peel off paper and cut into squares.  Store covered in fridge.

  Recipe compliments of Fork and Beans blog. 

No comments: