Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Year Updates...I Am Alive


I feel really alive tonight.    That doesn’t happen every evening, although it seems to happen on the nights when I am supposed to be working on homework (especially if it is due the next day).  My dear mother said I should at least check in and let the bloggy world know that I am still alive and while I have the energy to do so. So I am. 
Pleases understand that I have had so many good intentions about blogging.  I actually had several lined up…and then later couldn’t find them (I still can’t!).   Reality is that I have been busy…and  tired.  And not wanting to look at a computer screen when I have just spent4 – 6 hours looking at one.  I will be brief.  Let me give you the highlights of the space that has occupied the silence of these last 4-ish months. 

Internship Activities….

·         I have completed my dietetic foodservice rotation at my hospital St B and a nearby school district.

o   I have conducted plate taste studies, interviewed countless nutrition program directors, counseled moms in the WIC program, written several papers/reports, conducted an outreach activity to Dr.’s offices, modified diets, conducted a cafeteria survey and begun to understand our complicated freeway system…..oh the hundreds of miles I have driven already!

 

·         Began my clinical rotation this week.  I am sporting a nice white lab coat.  Boy do I look official (don’t be fooled though, I don’t totally know what I am doing!).  I will pretty much be in this rotation until June. 

Other Activities….

·         Went cross country skiing for the very first time over Christmas break and fell in love with it.  I have discovered my “inner Norsewoman!”

·         Went on some hikes with family

·         Got together with friends for a “friends-giving”

·         Food I have fallen in love with …. roasted beets and a carrot celery crunchy salad with flaxseed and dill dressing (a recipe entirely of my own creation!) I must say I am addicted to the “crunch” of it all!  Flaxseed oil is amazing…even as a face moisturizer! No joke!

 

·         Fallen out of favor with other foods….turnips and I don’t get along!  Unfortunately I must abandon broccoli, cauliflower and their cousin Brussels sprouts too!  So sorry fellas!

  

·         Started going gluten and lactose free and found much relief from the bloating!  For years I never knew what that uncomfortable feeling was every time I finished eating.  Always wondered why everything used to bother my tummy.  On the one hand it has been a “yippy skippy” and the other an “on my” challenge.  Good thing I am a Foodie or this could be tougher cuz there is really no going back now. 

 

I finally feel like I have fallen in to some sort of grove of being a dietetic intern.  The other day that I actually realized I had the mindset of anticipation what is next rather than that uncomfortable uncertain feeling of lost-ness despite that craziness of it all.  There are still months ahead of challenge and no doubtless uncertainly, but I am trusting God with all of that.  He has blessed me in incredible ways and I marvel and His sustaining hand. 

I look forward sharing more with you about it all….hopefully before yet another 4 months slides by!

No comments: