Monday, March 16, 2009

Verse of the Month Challenge

I have always been aware that knowing God's Word was important.; however, it wasn't until this past New Years that I decided to do something about it. My resolution? To memorize at least one new verse a month. So far I have actually memorized about four and I am currently working on number five (so I am a little bit ahead of my goal!). This months verse comes from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18…

"Rejoice always,
Pray without ceasing,
In everything give thanks for this is the will of Christ Jesus for you all."

For me, this is one of those truths God uses to "hedge" in my thoughts and attitudes. Lately when I have caught myself unsettled by a disquietude of heart, I ask myself, is this thought/attitude causing me to rejoice and give thanks for what God is doing? Is it prompting me to submit myself to Him? If the answer is “no,” then I must immediately discard it for it is not God’s will for me.

God’s Word is indeed sharper than any two-edged sword and He is making it effective in my life as I get His truth into my heart, month by month, one verse at a time.

Any one else with me in the one verse a month challenge? Use my suggested verses or find your own—just do it.

4 comments:

Plain Ol' Vanilla said...

Well my dear, I will share the verse I've decided to memorize. It's short but provides me with much to meditate on. Psalm 34:8- "Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!"

Love,
Your mum

TRBC Ladies' Fellowship said...

C- I love what you said about your thoughts, and how we can know if we should put the thought out of our minds. I am going to chew on that today. And, as for the "1 a month" plan...I think I am in...I'll get back to you :)
Love, T

Gumbo Lily said...

That is one of my favorite verses. Love the new banner.

Jody

TRBC Ladies' Fellowship said...

Your comments have really ministered the last week. Thinking about our thoughts is such a great weapon in our spiritual warfare. Keep up the good fight.
Love, T