Friday, October 25, 2013

Post Surgery Updates!!

It is hard for me to believe that almost three weeks have gone by since I had my surgery.  Here are some long over-due updates 

Surgery
The surgery went very went, aside from the fact that it was longer than expected.  Thyroidectomys normally take 3 hours but mine pushed over 4 hours.  This was due to the fact that my thyroid was tightly adhered to my trachea (windpipe), necessitating that the Surgeon literally scrape it off!  He said it almost looked like the two were growing together and he had to verify via X-ray during my post-op recovery that my trachea was not perforated.  Praise God it wasn’t! 

Pathology Report
The Wednesday following my surgery, the Surgeon, Dr. T, called to tell me that the pathology report had come back saying that while the 9 mm nodule had indeed been cancerous, it had been contained!  It had not spread and that I was, that I AM, CANCER FREE!  Thank you God, no additional treatments should be necessary!!

While on the phone, the Surgeon said, “I guess I did a good job didn’t I?”  I smiled and shifted the phone in my hand.

 “Yes Dr. T you did and I thank you so much for your skill and care.  But you really have no idea how many people were praying for you!  I knew that my life was ultimately in God’s hands and we were praying that God would have His hands over your own to give you the wisdom and skill you needed to deal with whatever you encountered.  So I am thankful to God for the care and skill He gave me through you.  Thank you for all you have done for me” I finished.  I just couldn’t let the Surgeon claim all the glory.    God had been so kind and faithful and regardless of what the Surgeon’s religious views were he needed to know that.   

Telling my parents that I was cancer-free was more emotional than I thought it would be.  It was as if I could visibly see a burden lift from their shoulders and I know their hearts.  

Recovery
The recovery has gone better than I expected.  I almost feel like I can visibly watch my incision shrink in size as each day passes.  (Sorry, no day by day progress pictures….you will thank me… I am sparing you!).    A week after the surgery, Dr. T told me that I could remove the Durma-bond glue that was holding the incision together (fancy that….no stitches!).  Now all I have is a little 2 inch line with some red around it.  It sort of looks like a scratch from a thorn bush.  Amazing!  My energy levels have been a little up and down but over all they have been better than they were prior to surgery.  The other great thing is that my sleep apnea is GONE!  Hmm, perhaps that tightly adhering thyroid had something to do with it…? (Actually, the scientific literature does say that there is a high number of people who have sleep apnea who also have thyroid disorders and vs versa.  I read all that after the surgery!).   

  I can’t begin to tell you how overwhelmed I have been by the multitude of kindnesses that so many friends, acquaintances even, and family members have shown me!!!  If I didn’t believe in grace or if I thought that we should each get what we deserve I  would say that I truly have not deserved the kindnesses in the form of flowers, kind words, notes,  text messages, prayers, food etc that many people have showered on my family and I.  But as it is, I am a firm believer in God’s grace, and that is the only reason I can account for all these displays of kindness.  Of course I don’t deserve them, but I am thankful God sent them in spite of me. 

Thank you to all who prayed and loved on me and my family.  Your prayers have by far, been the most cherished expressions of kindness.   I am so richly blessed!!!
Next…
I plan on continuing to take it slow for a few more weeks yet. After all, experience has taught me that there is no point in trying to play Super Woman!  And yet as I continue to take it easy, I have started the job search.   I am asking God that while He gave me a distinct grace in the unique season of waiting for surgery that He will give me another washing of grace I need to start and persevere in this next season of life, whatever that looks like.  I have confidence that He will.   Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi my friend :] Thank you for sharing your post-surgery updates with us. So happy to hear of your continuing progress. You are an amazing girl with so much to offer, and the world is brighter with you completely healthy, thriving on life, and sharing your gifts. Talk to you soon. Love, Lilibee

The Beauty of the Lord said...

LilyBee my friend, you are a dear-heart! Thanks for all your love and encouraging words. :) As for me brightening the world, sometimes its hard to tell where that glowing light is coming from...you have such a glow about you as well! Hugs!